A modern ECO-home for three generations
Savukvartsi was introduced to the public at the House fair 2015 in Vantaa, Finland. It’s an ecological city house, designed for three generations and built from the non-settling Honka Fusion log.
Honka Savukvartsi was designed and built by the architects Jaakko and Elizaveta Parkkonen as their own private home. The house reflects the dream shared by the young couple and their parents of a home for several generations of the same family. Savukvartsi is split into two separate properties, with the larger one occupied by Jaakko and Elizaveta and their son. The smaller property belongs to Jaakko’s parents. The properties share an entrance and, if desired, can be combined to create one larger property.
The soundscape of a log house is quiet. Combined with the natural warmth of genuine wood and the good indoor air quality, it creates a very comfortable living environment.
The family accommodation downstairs also includes a shared living area, as well as an orangerie with wonderful high ceilings, the perfect spot for curling up to read a book. The bedrooms are located on the first floor, away from the public areas.
The building is heated using solar thermal collectors and a waterbearing fireplace. The pitch of the roof has been calculated to allow for the perfect angle in relation to the sun. The most optimal angle is 35 degrees, and at Savukvartsi, we have gone for 34.
The property has the smallest carbon footprint of all the properties showcased at the Vantaa Housing Fair. It is rated B for energy efficiency. Its eco-friendly credentials include natural, low-emission and recyclable materials offering easy maintenance, healthy structures and the latest home technology solutions.
- Type of building: residential house for two families
- Living area: 146 m² and 46 m²
- Number of rooms: 5 and 2
- Architect: Jaakko and Elizavet Parkkonen
- Method of heating: Solar collectors, a water circulation fireplace (Lechma by Ekolämmöx), underfloor heating
- Wall structure: Non-settling Honka Fusion log FXL 134, exterior insulation with wood fiber 95 mll
- Exterior facade: spruce, treated with iron vitriol
- Interior walls: logs treated with Rubio monocoat
- Location: Southern Finland
- Building year: 2015
- Honka ID: 016286